Location: Roivant Discovery 451 D Street, Boston, MA 02210 USA
At Roivant, we are passionate about discovering and developing new drugs to impact patients’ lives. Since its inception in 2014, Roivant has launched over 20 portfolio companies (Vants), overseen 5 successful IPOs, established a $3B partnership with a global pharma, built a pipeline of over 40 assets across various modalities and therapeutic areas, and delivered 8 successful phase 3 readouts.
Roivant’s drug discovery capabilities are driven by our computational discovery platform, which combines preeminent physics-based tools with deep expertise in machine learning to generate unprecedented analytical power that can tackle previously intractable discovery challenges. The tight integration of this computational platform with our experimental capabilities enables the rapid design and optimization of new drugs to address a wide range of targets for diseases with high unmet need.
We believe that the future of drug discovery lies in integrating predictive sciences, biology and medicinal chemistry to accelerate the path to new medicines. This role is an opportunity to be an architect of this paradigm shift and generate transformative benefit for patients.
Roivant Discovery is looking for an experienced leader responsible for guiding, growing, and managing the Protein Sciences/Advanced Expression Technologies team. The successful candidate will provide scientific and leadership support to the team, help prioritize allocation of resources, and oversee the development of the scientific & operational infrastructure required to meet Roivant Discovery needs in the protein sciences arena. Some of the key desired attributes of the successful candidate include the demonstrated success in expression and purification of difficult proteins and the ability to design, orchestrate, and execute complex experimental designs in the context of multi-disciplinary teams. Working closely with other researchers in our drug discovery organization, the candidate will advance our protein expression and purification capabilities to match the needs of our growing Discovery portfolio.
- Lead the cross-functional Protein Sciences team, providing strategic and technical leadership in construct engineering, protein expression, purification, and characterization
- Establish state of the art expression methods to address challenging protein targets
- Drive the evergreen process of keeping the internal protein expression and purification technologies on the cutting edge of the current science and technology
- Oversee outsourcing activity of CROs including protocol transfer, protein production, and QC
- Build a culture of personal accountability, teamwork, and mentorship that supports the professional development of direct reports and others
- PhD and/or post-doctoral training in protein science – biochemistry, molecular biology, biophysics, structural biology, or related field
- 10+ years of relevant biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience in protein engineering, biochemistry, and structural biology.
- 5+ years of experience building, managing, and leading teams to successfully meet objectives supporting the organization, its people, and patients
- Deep practical knowledge and recent hands-on expertise in the areas of construct design, protein expression, protein purification, and protein analytics
- Good understanding/appreciation of protein quality parameters required for the successful application towards structural studies, biochemical assays, and biophysics
- Preference will be given to candidates with proven track record of leadership and a strong scientific background in protein expression, protein enzymology, biochemistry, structural studies
- Deep expertise in bacterial, insect, and mammalian cell culture techniques for the purposes of protein production
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational and communication skills
- Must enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic and highly collaborative environment
- Excellent collaboration, communication, and interpersonal skills are required to work with cross departmental teams/functions to drive drug discovery projects
- In-depth knowledge of molecular biology & modern cloning techniques
Roivant Sciences provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.